Thursday, February 26, 2009

All over but the crying...


It's so exciting when they first fall out - those little pearly bastions of childhood. I mean what says "little girl" better than pig-tails, bobby-socks and a gap-toothed grin?

There comes a time however, when even the last, most tenacious hanger-oner succumbs to frantic wiggling and falls out.... leaving a mouth full of only adult teeth in the head of my tween, and a pink slip for the Tooth Fairy with thanks for services rendered.

And at the sight of a few tears brimming in my eyes, as I mourned her passing youth, my quickly becoming teen-aged daughter responded in a way so befitting of this new chapter in her life, and said in a rather mocking and semi-embarrassed tone:

"Are you crying?"

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails